DirecTV's removal of Newsmax is “pure censorship," Rep. Jeff Van Drew, R-N.J., told Newsmax's "Rob Schmitt Tonight."
"This is bigger than all of us. It really is," the congressman said during his Wednesday night appearance.
"This is about freedom of speech and where our country is going to go into the future,” Van Drew told Schmitt.
“The fact that a political party can be so powerfully connected to a business and literally stop the freedom of speech and open ideas where everybody comes to the table,” he said.
In letters to major cable and satellite companies dated Feb. 22, 2021, California Democrat Reps. Anna Eshoo and Jerry McNerney wrote that companies, including AT&T DirecTV, and asked if they “have done nothing in response to the misinformation aired by these outlets [Newsmax, Fox News, and OAN].”
The letter continued: "Are you planning to continue carrying Fox News, Newsmax, and OANN ... both now and beyond any contract renewal date? If so, why?"
Van Drew’s comments come in the wake of AT&T DirecTV’s deplatforming of Newsmax from 13 million subscriber homes last week, the second time the service removed a conservative channel in the past year.
DirecTV continues to carry 22 liberal news channels and all receive license fees, but has denied Newsmax any ability to receive similar payments.
Nielsen reported that Newsmax is the fourth highest-rated news channel in the U.S., a top 20 news channel overall, and watched by 25 million Americans on cable.
Actions to Take Now
1. DirecTV customers: Call them toll free at 877-763-9762 and demand they bring NEWSMAX back on air. President Trump urges you CANCEL!
- Important: If DirecTV tells you we’re still negotiating, that is a lie! They have told NEWSMAX we will never be on a regular cable channel. DirecTV also replaced NEWSMAX with a channel that has no news and no ratings. Also, NEWSMAX's livestream is ending soon on other platforms, so unless you get it on DirecTV you will have to cancel their service.
2. AT&T customers: Call toll free at 888-855-2338, for any of their cellphones, wireless products, or services, and demand they end their censorship of NEWSMAX. President Trump has urged you to cancel their services.
3. Call your congressman or senator at 202-224-3121 and demand they stop AT&T/DirecTV’s censorship of NEWSMAX — ask them to give you a date on the hearings!
4. Go to our online petition and get more info at: iWantNewsmax.com.
© 2023 Newsmax. All rights reserved.