Skip to main content
Tags: ncaa | ncaa basketball | march madness

NCAA Won't Release March Madness Bracket

the national office of the ncaa is shown in indianapolis
The national office of the NCAA in Indianapolis is shown Thursday, March 12, 2020. The major conferences in college sports have canceled their basketball tournaments because of the new coronavirus, putting the celebrated NCAA college basketball tournament in doubt. (Michael Conroy/AP)

By    |   Monday, 16 March 2020 11:00 AM EDT

The NCAA has decided not to release a March Madness bracket for the 2020 men's and women's basketball tournaments that were canceled due to the coronavirus, the Washington Examiner reported.

"The important work of the basketball committees is to set up competitively-balanced brackets to determine national champions," NCAA vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt said in a statement. "I don't believe it's responsible or fair to do that with incomplete seasons - especially for tournaments that unfortunately won't be played. Therefore, there will not be any NCAA Division I men's and women's basketball championship selection shows or tournament brackets released this year."

CBS Sports pointed out that Gavitt's decision was made on what was supposed to be the much-anticipated Selection Sunday but instead has now become the official end of  the college basketball season.

There had been pressure on Gavitt to at least release a bracket to conclude the incomplete season with some recognition for the teams, but only 13 of the 32 conferences concluded their tournaments that determine an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, further complicating any effort to create a bracket, according to the Examiner.

"Players and coaches want to see their school name on the bracket," Gavitt said. "Members of the media want to dissect match-ups... All of us want something to fill the void we're feeling. However, anything less than a credible process is inconsistent with the tradition of the NCAA basketball championships."

Before canceling the tournament, the NCAA had been considering a scaled down 16-team competition to take place over five days, but ultimately determined it wasn't possible to hold any version of the March Madness tournament this year, the New York Post reported.

Brian Freeman

Brian Freeman, a Newsmax writer based in Israel, has more than three decades writing and editing about culture and politics for newspapers, online and television.

© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


Newsfront
The NCAA has decided not to release a March Madness bracket for the 2020 men's and women's basketball tournaments that were canceled due to the coronavirus, the Washington Examiner reported.
ncaa, ncaa basketball, march madness
280
2020-00-16
Monday, 16 March 2020 11:00 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved