We’ve all had to make them at one time or another.
Especially when the proverbial you-know-what has hit the fan and we're overwhelmed.
I’m talking about lists.
As mid-century author and humorist H. Allen Smith put it, "The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists." Or consider a quote from actress Sandra Bullock: "I like lists, I'm controlling, I like order . . . "
Societies frequently employ lists for that very reason.
The Ten Commandments is a list.
The Constitution and Bill of Rights are lists.
As stated in its preamble, the Constitution was ordained to "form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, ensure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity."
But among conservatives, justice, tranquility and liberty appear seriously threatened these days by the election of Joe Biden and the left’s control of both the House and the Senate.
And the "new normal" from COVID hardly feels new or normal.
It feels like an authoritarian ghost sent by a king from our colonial past.
Toss in the assault on Donald Trump’s policies, the gaslighting that his administration was a failure and a Republican Party in disarray and the result feels like chaos.
For conservatives, the proverbial you-know-what has hit the fan.
In fact, we are under attack, despite President Biden’s call for "unity."
Based on his executive orders in the first month, Biden’s definition of unity appears to mean that Republicans just fold and go with the Biden flow. In Congress, this will surely materialize as a demand for Republicans to "compromise" and set aside their conservative principles.
So, it’s time for a list. Here’s mine: a list of policies and principles that must not be subject to compromise by our Republican representatives:
- Government Dependency. Stimulus checks, extended unemployment and business handouts must end. These are poorly disguised efforts to lull Americans into helplessness. The country must fully open now and let a V shaped recovery do what government checks can never do.
- Socialized Healthcare: The government tripled the cost of healthcare while trying to cover 17 million of 324 million Americans and did so ineffectively. For Democratic politicians, Obamacare is a first step toward socialized medicine and rationing. The left can hardly wait.
- Climate Weaponization: The United States has already made tremendous gains in environmental health and the reduction of carbon emissions. The continuing war on fossil fuels only empowers our enemies, costs good jobs and vacuums dollars out of American pockets.
- Guns Rights: HR 127 must be defeated, and if passed, challenged in the courts. Guns are already radically regulated. The new bill in the House could set gun rights back for decades.
- Election Integrity: HR 1 must not pass; it's an attempt to decimate the election system. It attacks the states’ role elections and will encourage fraud through new vulnerabilities.
- U.S. Debt: This not only remains a crisis, it’s worse. We must have leaders who are focused on debt reduction, particularly after the trillions added as a result of the pandemic.
- Free Speech: Big tech must be dealt with like the monopolies and information utilities that they are. Politicized "fact-checkers" must be challenged. Gov. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., has made a good start with his new legislation and penalties.
- Illegal Immigration: There is no middle ground; the law is clear. Illegal immigration is not only a threat to the wages of lower income workers, it impacts the cost of public education, social services and the criminal justice system.
- America The Taxed: Income taxes in America are already radically progressive. And that cost is compounded by the sales, vehicle, gasoline, property and state income taxes Americans also pay. As 19th century Chief Justice John Marshall put it: "The power to tax is the power to destroy."
- Protect Children: We must protect not only the unborn, but child sex trafficking and human trafficking must be stopped at all costs. The continuation of our civil society demands it.
- America Must Make Things: Not doing so not only weakens our power, influence, and stature in the world, it’s a domestic and national security threat. The coronavirus pandemic starkly revealed our dependency on China for prescription drugs and medical supplies. How many other crucial products don’t we manufacture as a result of globalist policies?
As a list, the above is a start.
The fractured Republican caucus in Congress should publicly establish something like it and speak as one voice like the GOP did in 1994. That list was called the Contract with America. With it the party picked up 54 seats in the U.S. House, gaining the majority for the first time in 40 years.
Everyone called it the Republican Revolution. Let’s have another one.
Creator of #BPN a conservative political news and entertainment website, Judd Dunning, is political author, host, pundit and producer. Over Judd's three-decade political journey from liberal to conservative activist, he has collaboratively hosted various political entertainment for conservative (and independent) audiences, including his current shows "Unapologetic with Judd Dunning" which he hosts, "BulletPoint Nation" with Fox News regular Michael Loftus and his livestream show "Talking Smack" with former Fox Host Rob Nelson, and just authoring his new Humanix/Newsmax Book "13 1/2 Reasons Why NOT To Be A Liberal: And How to Enlighten Others," just published internationally. Read Judd Dunning's Reports — More Here.
© 2022 Newsmax. All rights reserved.