President Donald Trump will take “imminent action” to combat a Turkish court’s decision to keep an American pastor jailed on phony charges of terrorism, the commander in chief’s lawyer Jay Sekulow said on Wednesday.
“The president is fully engaged with this. Same is true for the vice president and secretary of state. They are all engaged right now on this situation,” Sekulow said on his radio show for the non-profit American Center for Law & Justice, which is representing Pastor Andrew Brunson.
Brunson, is behind bars on charges he helped supporters of groups the Turkish government considers terrorist organizations.
The Daily Caller reports that a Turkish court decided Brunson, 50, will remain in jail until his next hearing on Oct. 12. He was locked up in October 2016 along with his wife.
Previously, the Brunsons had operated Christian churches in Turkey for 23 years without incident, the newspaper said.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.