President Donald Trump said he is “not really” pleased with the results of U.S. trade talks with China so far.
Trump made the comment to reporters during an Oval Office meeting Tuesday with South Korean President Moon Jae-in, though he added of the negotiations, “they’re a start.”
Trump retreated from imposing tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Chinese goods because of White House discord over trade strategy and concern about harming negotiations with North Korea, according to people briefed on the administration’s deliberations.
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Sunday that the administration’s plan to impose tariffs had been suspended, and Trump said on Twitter on Monday that the Chinese had agreed to purchase unspecified amounts of American farm products. Some of his loyalists led by former chief strategist Steve Bannon criticized the deal as a capitulation.
© Copyright 2026 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.