The new Dan Rather film "Truth" is really "a movie that is nonstop lies," blogger Matt Sheffield told
Newsmax TV on Tuesday.
"It's certainly ironic," Sheffield, the former executive director of NewsBusters.com who broke the story that ultimately brought Rather's downfall in 2005, told "The Daily Wrap" in an interview. "That's the reality here."
Sheffield talked with Newsmax TV hosts Joe Concha and Rick Ungar.
"It's based on a book that the producer, Mary Mapes, wrote, which was basically a very self-serving book," he said. "It's complete fiction — and she's trying to distract people from what actually happened."
Watch Newsmax TV on DirecTV Ch. 349, DISH Ch. 223 and Verizon FiOS Ch. 115. Get Newsmax TV on your cable system — Click Here Now
The film, which stars Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford, dredges up the embarrassing "60 Minutes II" story on President George W. Bush's National Guard service.
The report was botched after revelations that two key documents used in the story were not fully verified.
"The problem with the story is that they didn't spend enough time actually looking into it and reporting the other aspects of it," Sheffield told Newsmax.
As such, "we don't fully know" what CBS might have found out "because they stopped reporting on it, as much as they would have," he added. "It fits within a long pattern of CBS under Rather when he basically, when he was there as the top dog, it was basically a dictatorship under Dan Rather."
Sheffield later added: "It's not to say that Bush may have gotten preferential treatment to get in there, but again, we have a president before him who had already been elected president who admitted that he dodged the draft."
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.