Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, under fire for the rocky rollout of President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law, has the president's "full confidence," The Hill reported Tuesday.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said Sebelius, like Obama, was "focused on our number-one priority, which is making the implementation of the Affordable Care Act work well,"
The Hill reported.
"The secretary does have the full confidence of the president," Carney said.
He conceded there had been "challenges within the website," but said officials were working "24/7" to fix the portal.
Sebelius has been taking heat from a string of critics since the glitch-marred start of the new law's insurance exchanges Oct. 1.
Kansas Republican Sen. Pat Roberts and Louisiana Republican Rep. John Fleming have both called on Sebelius to resign because of the problems plaguing the website, healthcare.gov.
Former Obama press secretary
Robert Gibbs, without naming Sebelius, on Monday said he hoped "they fire some people that were in charge of making sure this thing was supposed to work."
"The president wants these matters addressed," he said.
But Carney pointed out that
not every experience with the new law is a horror story, The Washington Times reported.
Carney cited an Illinois woman who will save $390 per month on health insurance, a Mississippi woman who is purchasing a plan for $60 per month, and a Utah father of five who is buying a plan for $123 per month after tax credits.
"This is why we’re doing this," Carney said. "These are the people we're focused on helping."
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.