Dr. Russell Blaylock, author of The Blaylock Wellness Report newsletter, is a nationally recognized board-certified neurosurgeon, health practitioner, author, and lecturer. He attended the Louisiana State University School of Medicine and completed his internship and neurological residency at the Medical University of South Carolina. For 26 years, practiced neurosurgery in addition to having a nutritional practice. He recently retired from his neurosurgical duties to devote his full attention to nutritional research. Dr. Blaylock has authored four books, Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills, Health and Nutrition Secrets That Can Save Your Life, Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients, and his most recent work, Cellular and Molecular Biology of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Find out what others are saying about Dr. Blaylock by clicking here.
Tags: antibacterial | antibiotic | nanosilver | MERSA

Risks and Benefits of Nanosilver

By
Friday, 01 June 2018 04:13 PM Current | Bio | Archive

I am often asked about silver as a health supplement. I’ve been reluctant to endorse widespread use of silver because it is a reactive metal, and it can accumulate in the brain.

However, silver has been shown to be a very powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal agent. Most important, organisms cannot develop resistance to its antimicrobial effect, as they do in the case of pharmaceutical medications, for which emerging resistance is a major problem.

Unfortunately, there are very few studies on the possible toxic effects of silver on the nervous system and cell function. But I suspect that toxicity will be found.

In my opinion, long-term use of oral solutions of silver should be discouraged. Short-term use — say, for a few days — in small doses probably would not be that harmful.

One such use would be for treating MERSA, the so-called flesh-eating bacteria. Because this is a deadly, mutilating infection, it warrants the small risk of silver toxicity.

Topical use of silver is most likely safe. In fact, I use it regularly for skin infections, small cuts, and other skin lesions.

Several years ago colloidal silver was all the rage. Now, it’s nanosilver — silver that contains nanosize particles.

What is the difference between colloidal silver and nanosilver?

Because of its extremely small particle size, nanosilver is much more reactive than colloidal silver or normal silver.

It has more surface area exposure than ordinary silver or colloidal silver — that translates into a more powerful antimicrobial benefits.

This means that when a small amount of nanosilver gel is applied to a boil or sore, it can kill many more harmful microorganisms than either antibiotics or ordinary silver — even when it is used in much lower concentrations.

Ingesting nanosilver can produce significant toxicity to cells, tissues, and organs — including the brain and spinal cord. Therefore I strongly recommend against using it internally, except in the most extreme circumstances.

© 2019 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Dr-Blaylock
I am often asked about silver as a health supplement. I’ve been reluctant to endorse widespread use of silver because it is a reactive metal, and it can accumulate in the brain.
antibacterial, antibiotic, nanosilver, MERSA
315
2018-13-01
Friday, 01 June 2018 04:13 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
 

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved