The FBI is correct to ask citizens for help finding out what the San Bernardino attackers did for 18 minutes after they shot 14 people to death last month, former NYPD Commissioner Bernard Kerik told
Newsmax TV on Wednesday.
"You're looking for other conspirators, you're looking for other evidence," he said.
Watch
Newsmax TV on
DIRECTV Ch. 349,
DISH Ch. 223 and
Verizon FiOS Ch. 115. Get
Newsmax TV on your cable system –
Click Here Now
"In the aftermath of 9/11, we were looking for possibilities of ground attacks," Kerik, who commanded the city's police forces during those assaults, told "Newsmax Prime" host J.D. Hayworth. "There was a lot to go through.
"We didn't only have to worry about the four planes that ran into the two buildings and the Pentagon — and that [crashed] in Shanksville," he added. "We had to worry about other stuff as well and possibilities.
"These are things you're constantly looking at."
Kerik said that he was not sure whether any other shooters might be discovered in the California investigation, but that "you're going to see conspirators as far as people who they were in contact with, people who may have assisted in some way in the radicalization, people who were giving them ideas.
"Intelligence is the way of combating this type of fight," he told Hayworth, "and we need all the help we can get from the communities and the people around the country."
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.