Skip to main content
Tags: american legion | proud boys | california | trump rally | protests

American Legion Removes Commander From Roles After Proud Boys Activity

Proud boys wear black hoodies with yellow lettering at a rally
Proud Boys attend a rally in Freedom Plaza. (John Lamparski/AP)

Tuesday, 05 January 2021 02:04 PM EST

An American Legion post commander in California has reportedly been removed from two national leadership roles after he bragged on social media about participating in a street brawl and joining the Proud Boys.

The San Diego Union Tribune reported that photos on two social media accounts show J.B. Clark Post 149 Cmdr. Michael Sobczak, 56, of Escondido, wearing a Proud Boys jacket and marching along with other Proud Boys during a Dec. 12 rally in support of President Donald Trump in Washington, D.C., that turned violent.

In a video shared on a Facebook account under the name “Mick Florio,” Sobczak describes a beating he says he gave an anti-Trump activist in self-defense during an earlier protest in Yorba Linda, the news outlet reported.

Sobczak was removed last week from his position as dean of the American Legion College as well as a seat on the national board of the American Legion Riders, the organization’s motorcycle club, Ed Grimsley, the commander of the California American Legion, told the news outlet.

“The American Legion has no room for hate in its membership, nor will we silently tolerate hate in any form,” Grimsley’s statement said, the news outlet reported. “It is no longer about free speech or simple political discourse, rather it morphs into an affront to both Legionnaires and our communities, states and nations.”

Grimsley said because of the American Legion’s organizational structure, it does not have the authority to remove him as post commander — and members of the Escondido post will have to decide what to do.

“They will have to be the ones to start the process — it’s up to them now,” Grimsley told the Union Tribune. “It’s a bad situation — I wish I could do more.”

Sobczak appears to be linked to two social media accounts — a Facebook account under the name “Mick Florio” and a Parler account under the name “Mickey Knuckles.”

“What I do in my private life is private,” Sobczak told the Union Tribune.

Thousands gathered at the nation’s capital the weekend of Dec. 11 for rallies in support of Trump. Members of the Proud Boys clashed with activists and counter-protesters, and there were reportedly four stabbings and 33 arrests, the Union Tribune reported.

© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.


US
An American Legion post commander in California has reportedly been removed from two national leadership roles after he bragged on social media about participating in a...
american legion, proud boys, california, trump rally, protests
368
2021-04-05
Tuesday, 05 January 2021 02:04 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
TOP

Interest-Based Advertising | Do not sell or share my personal information

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Download the Newsmax App
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved