Tags: sinai | car bomb | attack | soldiers

Sinai Car Bomb Attack, Carried Out by Jihadists, Kills 26 Soldiers

By    |   Friday, 24 Oct 2014 03:06 PM

A Sinai car bomb attack killed at least 26 soldiers on Friday, according to Agence France-Presse.

Security officials said 28 other soldiers were wounded in the attack in an agricultural region near El-Arish, the main town in north Sinai.

Jihadists in the peninsula have killed scores of policemen and soldiers since Islamist president Mohamed Morsi's overthrow to avenge a bloody police crackdown on his supporters.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the army chief who toppled Morsi and later won elections, has pledged to eradicate the militants.

After Friday's attack, Sisi summoned a meeting of the national defence council — the country's highest security body — to discuss the killings, his office said.

Security officials said the car bomb attack targeted an army checkpoint and was carried out by suspected jihadists.

"Most of the wounded have been seriously injured," health ministry official Tareq Khater told AFP.

It was the latest in a string of bloody attacks against security forces in Egypt.

In August 2013, just weeks after the army ousted Morsi, 25 soldiers were killed in the Sinai when gunmen opened fire at two buses transporting troops with automatic rifles and rocket launchers.

In July this year, 22 border guards were killed in the western desert near the border with Libya.

Militants killed 17 policemen in two bombings in the Sinai later the same month and released footage of the attacks.

Those bombings were claimed by Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, the most active militant group in Egypt.

From the desert and mountainous Sinai, which borders the Gaza Strip and Israel, the attacks have also extended to the capital and the Nile Delta to the north.

Ansar Beit al-Maqdis tried to assassinate the interior minister in Cairo last year with a car bomb.

The group has expressed support for Islamic State (IS) group jihadists in Iraq and Syria, although it has not formally pledged its allegiance.

The military has said it killed at least 22 militants in October, including an Ansar Beit al-Maqdis commander.

The group itself has acknowledged the arrest or deaths of militants, but the army has been unable so far to crush them despite a massive operation in which it has deployed attack helicopters and tanks.

Deadly crackdown

The latest bombing came after an Egyptian military court sentenced to death seven members of Ansar Beit al-Maqdis on Tuesday for carrying out deadly attacks on the army.

Since Morsi's ouster, more than 1,400 of his supporters have been killed in a crackdown by the authorities.

Over 15,000 others have been jailed including Morsi and the top leadership of his Muslim Brotherhood, and more than 200 sentenced to death in speedy trials.

The authorities have also dissolved the Brotherhood's political arm, the Freedom and Justice Party, since Sisi became Egypt's second democratically elected president following a landslide victory in a May vote.

The secular April 6 movement, which led the 2011 revolution that ousted president Hosni Mubarak, has also been banned, prompting activists to charge that Egypt was heading to a worse autocracy than under the longtime ruler.

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
A Sinai car bomb attack killed at least 26 soldiers on Friday, according to Agence France-Presse.
sinai, car bomb, attack, soldiers
503
2014-06-24
Friday, 24 Oct 2014 03:06 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved