Tags: Ray Rice Probe by Ex-FBI Head Clears NFL on Video Claim

Ray Rice Probe by Ex-FBI Head Clears NFL in AP's Video Claim

By    |   Friday, 09 Jan 2015 07:33 AM

An investigation of Ray Rice's attack on his wife conducted by former FBI director Robert S. Mueller found that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and other league officials didn't view a tape of the former player knocking out his spouse in a casino elevator before suspending him.

Mueller conceded that the league "should have done more with the information it had," but said there was no evidence that Goodell or anyone in his office saw the TMZ video of the elevator attack before the celebrity website aired it in on Sept. 8, according to the Washington Post.

Goodell has denied seeing the video before actions which led to Rice being suspended indefinitely from the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens releasing him.

The report runs counter to a story by The Associated Press in September, which an unnamed law enforcement officer charged he anonymously sent a copy of the elevator video to league offices and received a voice message from a female there acknowledging it had been received, noted Post.

"We concluded there was substantial information about the incident – even without the in-elevator video – indicating the need for a more thorough investigation," said a release accompanying Mueller's report.

"The NFL should have done more with the information it had, and should have taken additional steps to obtain all available information about the February 15 incident," said the release.

The report said the even though the AP declined to reveal its whistleblower and cooperate in the probe, investigators interviewed more than 200 league employees, including "every female employee, contractor, vendor, or intern whose electronic badge recorded that she was in the league's main office on April 9, the date the alleged call was made."

Mueller's report said the investigation found no one to corroborate the AP's story that said the league was in possession of the elevator video before rendering its original two-game suspension against Rice.

Nita Chaudhary, co-founder of the women's right group UltraViolet, told USA Today that the report showed Goodell's lack of action in the Rice case despite of the video issue.

"The NFL has a clear domestic abuse problem and it simply doesn't have the leadership to fix it," said Chaudhary. "It's clear from this report that Goodell's NFL took no initiative to uncover the facts in this case – a continuation of Goodell's long record of ignoring this issue."

Related Stories:

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
TheWire
An investigation of Ray Rice's attack on his wife conducted by former FBI director Robert S. Mueller found that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and other league officials didn't view a tape of the former player knocking out his spouse in a casino elevator before suspending him.
Ray Rice Probe by Ex-FBI Head Clears NFL on Video Claim
419
2015-33-09
Friday, 09 Jan 2015 07:33 AM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved