Tags: Trump | OMB | Post

Trump Admin Sets Record with Open OMB Post

Image: Trump Admin Sets Record with Open OMB Post

Rep. Mick Mulvaney (AP)

By    |   Monday, 13 Feb 2017 12:29 PM

President Donald Trump's administration have set a new record: longest without a director of the White House Office of Management and Budget in decades, according to Roll Call.

Rep. Mick Mulvaney, R-S.C., is Trump's choice to lead the office, but almost two weeks after his nomination was advanced out of committee he has yet to receive a Senate floor vote.

"I do believe the full Senate should have the opportunity to consider Congressman Mulvaney's nomination," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said during the Homeland Security committee's vote, according to CNN.

"Given Congressman Muvalney's record on defense spending, including his vote to withdraw all forces from Afghanistan, I continue to have concerns about his nominations to be OMB director. However, I will continue to weigh all the facts as the Senate considers Congressman Mulvaney's nomination."

Democrats, by using all the time allowed to debate Trump's other nominees, have pushed back his final confirmation vote, which may not come until after the break for President's Day.

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, the Republican whip, said the vote "could be" scheduled this week, but he was unsure.

"There are a number of noncontroversial nominations, but as long as [the Democrats] are going to object to everything and not yield any time back, it's going to stretch it out longer than normal," Cornyn told Roll Call.

"This is the slowest time for a new Cabinet to be up and running since George Washington," added Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

The lack of a budget chief prevents Congress, and Trump, from following through on budgeting for the next year. Last year, the House and the Senate began budget hearings on Feb. 10. Neither chamber has scheduled any budget hearings for this February this year.

Despite the holdup, House Appropriations Chairman Rodney Frelinghuysen, R-N.J., expressed confidence that the budget will be completed on time.

"I think as a committee, we're prepared to move," he told Roll Call. "His appointment is not quite solid yet, but it's not stopping us from getting our act together."

© 2017 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

   
1Like our page
2Share
Politics
President Donald Trump's administration have set a new record: longest without a director of the White House Office of Management and Budget in decades, according to Roll Call.
Trump, OMB, Post
338
2017-29-13
Monday, 13 Feb 2017 12:29 PM
Newsmax Inc.
 

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved