Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tuesday the United States is still planning for a June 12 summit between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un — and credited China for contributing "historic assistance" in the effort.
At a news briefing, Pompeo declined to predict if the meeting would happen as scheduled after Trump suggested it might not.
"We're prepared," he said, adding later: "I'm confident we'll get there."
"Chairman Kim asked for this meeting," Pompeo said. "We worked to get the date and location set. Since then, we're driving on. It's clear we're working to make sure there's a common understanding of what the contents of what will be discussed. I'm optimistic.
"Again, this could be something that comes to the end and doesn't happen," he continued. "As the president said, 'we'll see.' That's the place we find ourselves.
"We're still working toward June 12."
But Pompeo credited China for its help in getting the process to where it is.
"The Chinese have historic assistance in the pressure campaign" on North Korea, he declared. "Literally historic assistance. President Trump has made clear and I've made clear, too, that it's incredibly central that that pressure remain in place and China continue in that pressure campaign. We have every reason to expect they will do so."
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.