White House Chief of Staff John Kelly said Monday that President Donald Trump had asked him to remain in the West Wing through the 2020 election — and he accepted the offer, The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
Kelly, 68, told staffers of Trump's decision on Monday, the date of his first anniversary in the post, the Journal disclosed, citing "White House officials" in its report.
The retired Marine Corps general "had been widely expected to leave the White House some time this summer," according to the Journal.
In addition, "a White House official cautioned that while the plan is for Mr. Kelly to remain in his post through 2020, unforeseen circumstances could cause the plan to change," the newspaper disclosed.
Tensions have eased recently between Kelly and Trump — though the president last month considered replacing him with Nick Ayers, Vice President Mike Pence's chief of staff, or Budget Director Mick Mulvaney.
Kelly was Homeland Security chief when Trump named him to succeed Reince Priebus last year after he resigned.
His tumultuous year in the West Wing includes beating back numerous reports that he had threatened to resign and that he had called President Trump an "idiot," which he denied.
Kelly also has fired several White House staffers — and he warned Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin that they would be fired before Trump tweeted announcements.
But Trump has repeatedly defended Kelly and saluted his first anniversary on Twitter.
"Congratulations to Gen. John Kelly," he said in the post. "Today we celebrate his first full year as White House chief of staff."
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.