Former CIA Director John Brennan said Friday night he is considering the possibility of taking legal action against the Trump administration in order to protect the security clearances of people who remain in the intelligence community, after President Donald Trump this past week stripped him of security clearances he'd held for nearly 40 years.
"It would be with the eye toward preventing this type of abuse by Donald Trump in the future, not to reclaim mine," Brennan told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow. "This is the first time in 38 years I haven't had a security clearance."
The veteran intelligence officer said it had been a "privilege every day" to be a member of the community that kept the United States strong and safe.
"I don't want to ever allow a politician or someone in the Oval Office to just so cavalierly toss around security clearances," Brennan said. "I will fight on behalf of those who still have their clearances."
The Washington Post reported Friday that Trump is considering revoking clearances for a list of people who have either been critical of his presidency or have been involved in the investigation of Russian activities during the 2016 presidential election.
"I think he's out of control," said Brennan. "He has the steering wheel of the American vehicle in his hands, and he's veering wildly right now. He's trying to preserve and protect himself ... I'm glad his revoking my security clearance will wake some people up."
He said he's also concerned about what will happen if Trump pulls clearances of investigators working on special counsel Robert Mueller's probe, as "they're not going to have access to classified information they need to do their jobs."
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.