One candidate has already announced his intention to run for the Democratic seat that opened when Rep. Louise Slaughter, D-N.Y., died last week, and others are mulling runs in the New York district, too, The Hill reports.
State Assemblyman Joe Morelle on Monday became the first to announce but he is likely not the last; Emily's List is recruiting an aide of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and three others are mulling mounting a run at it, The Hill reports.
Slaughter, 88, died Friday after falling in her Washington home. She served 16 terms.
Morelle, state majority leader, had Slaughter's daughter and her son-in-law — as well as some high-powered Democratic dignitaries — at his side when he announced Monday.
"We need a leader in Congress who will pick up the mantle of Louise Slaughter," Morelle said during his announcement.
However, Emily's List is not buying into Morelle's candidacy, instead soliciting Gillibrand deputy state director Sarah Clark to throw her name in the ring.
"Louise Slaughter . . . has been a champion for women and families throughout her career. We are invested in working to ensure that she is succeeded by another strong, passionate woman leader," an Emily's List spokeswoman told The Hill.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has set June 26 for the primary but has not yet announced when the special election will be. He could set it for November to coincide with the midterm elections.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.