A South Carolina lawmaker has claimed victory in the 2018 Democrat primary for the U.S. House – but his opponent has refused to concede because of alleged "irregularities" in the voting process.
Robert Williams, who serves in the Palmetto State's House of Representatives, told his supporters on Wednesday that his quest to capture Democratic support to run for the U.S. House, was a tough battle, but a winning one.
"It was a long night, but one that gave us a victory. We have always said that every vote counts. My family and I are truly humbled by the results," Williams said, according to Myrtle Beach Online.
"We have just begun our fight for the citizens of our district and we look forward to a vigorous campaign against our opponent, [incumbent Republican] Tom Rice [for District 7), this summer and fall."
But challenger Mal Hyman, an associate professor of sociology at Coker College, who lost by 420 votes -- 7,702 to 7,282 or 51.4 percent to 48.4 percent, according to South Carolina Election Commission -- is not conceding.
"So far, the results have us at a super-slim 420 vote deficit. Because we're faced with a less than 3 percent margin, and because of so many of you who reached out to us to tell us irregularities at your precinct and a handful of other issues we simply want answers to, we're holding off making a concession," Hyman said on his Facebook page.
"Saying 'it's over' is hard, but don't misunderstand: we're not putting it off lightly or to play games. The democratic process is the foundation for our great nation and we just intend to see it through to its natural conclusion."
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.