President Joe Biden is less popular than police and law enforcement agencies and more popular than Major League Baseball, according to a poll released April 25 by NBC.
The president notched a 50 percent total positivity rate compared to 58 percent for police and law enforcement agencies and 34 percent for MLB, which last month opted to move its All-Star Game and draft out of Georgia in protest of the state’s new election law.
Law enforcement agencies have been under scrutiny amid a string of fatal police shootings, highlighted last week by the conviction of former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin in the murder of George Floyd.
Chauvin, who is white, kept his knee on Floyd’s neck for at least eight minutes and 15 seconds, even as Floyd, who was Black, lost consciousness and for a full one minute, 20 seconds after paramedics arrived at the scene.
The Justice Department last week said it was opening a sweeping police investigation into policing practices in Minneapolis following the conviction.
The poll, conducted April 17-20, also found:
- Former President Donald Trump notched a 32 percent total positivity rate, compared with 55 percent negative
- 58 percent of Americans say their bigger concern when it comes to voting is "making sure that everyone who wants to vote can do so," which includes 87 percent of Democrats and 65 percent of independents.
- 38 percent say they are most concerned about "making sure that no one votes who is not eligible to vote." More than three-quarters of Republicans — 77 percent — agree.
- Large majorities of Black and Hispanic Americans — 82 percent and 73 percent, respectively — say they are most focused on making sure all eligible voters can vote.
- 85 percent of Democrats, 81 percent of independents and 59 percent of Republicans say they have confidence in elections in their own states.
- Among Republicans who live in states that supported Trump in 2020, 76 percent say they are confident that their states can administer fair elections. But among those who live in states that supported Biden, just 39 percent say they are confident, while 60 percent say they are not confident.
- After the MLB announced that it would pull its game out of Atlanta, nearly 4 in 10 Republicans say they have negative feelings about the organization.
- Among Republicans, 22 percent say they have positive feelings toward MLB, while 37 percent say they have negative ones.
- Among Democrats, 43 percent report positive feelings, while just 5 percent have negative views.
The NBC News live-caller poll was conducted by Hart Research and Public Opinion Strategies from April 17 to April 20. It has a margin of error for all adults of +/- 3.1 percentage points.
© 2021 Newsmax. All rights reserved.