The Washington Post report on President Donald Trump disclosing classified information to Russian officials last week is "outrageously overblown" and proves that the media is "out to destroy this presidency," former Pentagon official Richard Perle told Newsmax TV on Tuesday.
"There was no indication in the article — and this is now confirmed by the national security adviser that any classified information that was not either known or obvious was revealed in that conversation," Perle told Newsmax TV's Steve Malzberg.
"This seems to me another example of parts of the mainstream press were clearly unambiguously out to destroy this presidency."
Perle, 75, served as assistant secretary of defense and chairman on the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board. He worked under former Presidents Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.
He currently is a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute in Washington.
"They will make mountains out of molehills — and they'll create molehills out of nothing," Perle told Malzberg in slamming the media.
"I was not at all concerned about that and I spent 50 years consuming and working on highly classified information.
"I don't think any significant information has been compromised."
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.