As the dust settles on President Donald Trump’s impeachment and acquittal, acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney’s future at the White House is in doubt, CNN is reporting.
In a report on Friday, the news network said Trump effectively lost confidence in Mulvaney months ago. However, he was convinced by aides not to make a change while impeachment was under way.
Now that the Senate has acquitted Trump, Mulvaney’s day-to-day role is again being questioned, according to CNN.
Mulvaney is reportedly increasingly unhappy with his role and is convinced it has been diminished from previous chiefs of staff. Several sources told CNN Trump often ignores Mulvaney’s input.
But the news network noted it is still uncertain when or if Mulvaney will depart his post. However, discussions about his future have taken place among White House staffers in recent days.
“It's unfortunate but not surprising that at the end of a week when the president was totally acquitted, CNN is turning to palace intrigue stories,” said White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere. “As he indicated in his State of the Union address this week, President Trump is focused on delivering results for the American people. We have no personnel announcements at this time.”
Meanwhile, CNN reported that retiring Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., is considered a top choice to replace Mulvaney. It said Meadows had been advising Trump daily during the impeachment proceedings.
Jeffrey Rodack ✉
Jeffrey Rodack, who has nearly a half century in news as a senior editor and city editor for national and local publications, has covered politics for Newsmax for nearly seven years.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.