President Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, won’t decide whether to cooperate with federal prosecutors until he knows more about the charges he faces, CNN reports.
Although CNN reported on Wednesday that Cohen is “willing to give” information on the president to investigators, on Thursday the network’s sources described Cohen’s position on cooperating as a “moving target,” and said that a decision could be weeks away.
Cohen is reportedly waiting to see what charges he faces and what prosecutors are interested in. Although he has not been charged with a crime, the FBI conducted a raid on his home, hotel room and office back in April, taking millions of files and hundreds of encrypted messages that Cohen’s legal team has been examining.
Last week, Cohen parted with the lawyers from McDermott, Will & Emery, who were primarily used to review documents, and hired Guy Petrillo, the former head of the criminal division of the U.S. attorney’s office in New York City, to represent him in the case, according to Vanity Fair.
A source said that Cohen has privately complained about the expense of his legal fees, and expressed frustration that Trump hasn’t helped him or offered to pay.
Cohen declined to comment on the story to CNN, and Petrillo did not respond to CNN’s requests.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.