Republican senators are pushing President Donald Trump to accept a budget deal being worked out with Democratic lawmakers, Politico is reporting.
The deal would stay clear of any stiff budget cuts and provide a measure of certainty through the 2020 presidential campaign, according to Politico.
Various senators who have spoken with Trump say he appears warm to the proposal. However, some fear conservatives could push him to reject any deal.
Politico noted Trump almost killed the last sweeping budget agreement. He also rejected a funding bill last December — setting off a 35-day government shutdown.
Of particular concern to some lawmakers is acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney, according to the website.
Some Republicans are worried that Mulvaney's budget slashing instinct could take hold and jeopardize the deal. Mulvaney "could become a real obstacle," one White House official said.
So far, GOP lawmakers are cautiously optimistic Trump will support the deal this time around. However, they are not taking anything for granted.
"I've talked to him about it. He's supportive," said Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga. "I think he would support that. I never speak for the president. It depends on what's in there."
And another Republican senator said: "There's some pretty good optimism right now. But it could all blow up."
Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said this week he has been discussing a possible two-year budget deal with congressional leaders. The deal would set overall federal spending levels for fiscal 2020, which begins on Oct. 1 and for fiscal 2021.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.