×
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - In Google Play
VIEW
×
Newsmax TV & Webwww.newsmax.comFREE - On the App Store
VIEW
Tags: brain | eating | amoeba | infection | teen | minnnesota

Teen Contracts 'Brain-Eating' Infection After Swimming

Thursday, 09 July 2015 03:21 PM

A 14-year-old Minnesota boy is being treated for what doctors describe as a rare “brain-eating” infection he suffered while swimming.

Hunter Boutain, of Alexandria, fell into a coma after swimming in Lake Minnewaska on Tuesday and is at the University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis, Sky News reports.

He suffers from primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare and often fatal brain infection caused by the Naegleria fowleri amoeba, which is found in warm freshwater.

The amoeba can infect people by entering the body through the nose, usually while swimming and diving.

Symptoms include headaches, fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff necks, confusion, hallucinations, loss of balance, and seizures.

There have been 35 reported cases of infection in the last 10 years in the U.S.

© 2022 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.


Health-News
A 14-year-old Minnesota boy is being treated for a rare 'brain-eating' amoebic infection he suffered while swimming.
brain, eating, amoeba, infection, teen, minnnesota
123
2015-21-09
Thursday, 09 July 2015 03:21 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
Find Your Condition
TOP

The information presented on this website is not intended as specific medical advice and is not a substitute for professional medical treatment or diagnosis. Read Newsmax Terms and Conditions of Service.

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved