Experts say that eating a good breakfast not only gives you energy for the day, but it can help you lose weight and even get rid of belly fat. Maggie Michalczyk, RDN, said that if you find yourself bloated and starving at night, it could mean that you didn't have enough protein and fiber at breakfast, according to Eat This, Not That!
Kristin Kirkpatrick, the manager of wellness nutrition services at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute, told the Today Show that "not only should you NOT skip breakfast, you should make it the biggest meal of the day."
She cited a 2017 study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology that followed female volunteers. The study found that those who skipped breakfast had a higher degree of hardening of the arteries. Another study found that individuals who made breakfast the largest meal of the day were more likely to lose weight than those who made lunch or dinner their largest meals. A study of type 2 diabetics found that a large breakfast containing protein helped in the management of their disease.
Here are some examples of belly-blasting breakfasts:
- Add fruits to your cereal. Michalczyk said that she slices a banana or adds berries to her oatmeal to increase fiber in the morning.
- Make your breakfasts nutrient dense. The expert recommends planning meals that include a protein, healthy fat, and a carbohydrate. A piece of smoked salmon on whole wheat toast with chopped avocado is an example.
- Make simple swaps to boost nutrition. Instead of eating granola which is high in sugar, add nuts and seeds to your morning yogurt.
- Have an "eggs-traorindary" breakfast. According to The Healthy, eggs, especially the yolks, are packed with vitamins D and B12 which helps burn body fat.
- Drink green tea instead of coffee. A study from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that green tea accelerates you belly fat loss along with regular excise and a healthy diet.
© 2021 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.