By Daniel Trotta and Kevin Gray
CLEVELAND, May 10 (Reuters) - DNA tests show Ariel Castro, a
former school bus driver charged with kidnapping and raping
three women during a decade of captivity in his Cleveland house,
is the father of a 6-year-old girl born to one of the victims,
the Ohio attorney general said on Friday.
The tests did not link Castro to any other state cases,
Attorney General Mike DeWine said in a statement.
Castro, 52, was arrested shortly after Amanda Berry, her
6-year-old daughter, and two other women Gina DeJesus and
Michelle Knight, were found in his house in a run-down
neighborhood of Cleveland on Monday.
DeWine's statement said that forensic scientists obtained a
sample of Castro's DNA late Thursday afternoon and "worked
throughout the night to confirm that Castro is the father of the
six-year-old girl born in captivity to one of the kidnapping
victims."
Berry's baby was born in a plastic inflatable children's
swimming pool on Christmas Day, 2006, authorities have said.
The FBI is checking Castro's DNA sample against national
cases, DeWine said. Local authorities have said Castro is not a
suspect in other cases.
The Cuyahoga County prosecutor vowed on Thursday to seek
murder charges that could carry the death penalty against Castro
because police say there is evidence that Knight suffered forced
miscarriages.
During their captivity, police said, the women endured
beatings, rapes and at times confinement in ropes and chains.
Their imprisonment came to an end when neighbors, alerted by
cries for help, broke through a locked door of Castro's house
and freed Berry, who had disappeared the day before her 17th
birthday in 2003 on her way home from work at a fast-food
restaurant.
DeJesus, 23, vanished at age 14 after school, and Knight,
32, was 20 when she went missing in 2002.
All three told police this week that they were abducted by
Castro when they accepted his offers of a ride in the same West
Side Cleveland neighborhood where they were found.
Castro made his first court appearance on Thursday to face
three counts of rape and four counts of kidnapping brought by
the city attorney's office, and he was ordered to remain in
custody on an $8 million bond.
County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty, who has jurisdiction over
all felony cases for Cleveland, said he intends to expand the
charges.
"I fully intend to seek charges for each and every act of
sexual violence, rape, each day of kidnapping, every felonious
assault, and each act of aggravated murder for terminating
pregnancies that the offender perpetrated," he said.
Under Ohio law, the crime of aggravated murder includes the
unlawful termination of a pregnancy and is a capital offense.
Knight suffered at least five miscarriages that she told
police were intentionally caused by Castro starving her and
beating her in the abdomen, according to an initial police
report.
The victims told investigators they recalled leaving the
confines of the house just twice during their ordeal, ushered on
both occasions into a separate garage on the property while
disguised in wigs and hats.
Castro's court-appointed lawyer, Kathleen DeMetz, said her
client would be placed on a suicide watch in jail and was
expected to be held in isolation.
In order to win release on bail, he would need $800,000 cash
- 10 percent of the bond amount.
Berry told police that her escape on Monday had been her
first chance to break free in the 10 years that she was held,
seizing the opportunity during Castro's momentary absence.
Berry and DeJesus went home with family members on
Wednesday, while Knight remained in hospital, but in good
condition.
(Additional reporting by Kim Palmer and Barbara Goldberg;
Writing by Ellen Wulfhorst; Editing by Grant McCool)
© 2026 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.