It’s funny how life works. Even when I agree with Barack Obama, I am still offended by his Big Brother attitude and nanny state goon tactics.
Obama’s actions remind me of a dictator who thinks he knows better than you or me. Last week he erased any doubt that he sees himself as king rather than as the elected servant of the American people when declared he would not defend a law passed by the Congress. That law is the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).
As a well-known libertarian-conservative and states' rights activist, I believe the federal government has no place in the debate on marriage. If any government should be involved (and I don't think they should be), it is a states’ rights issue and should only be decided on the state and local level. DOMA tramples on states' rights in violation of the Constitution.
But Obama's support of my opinion makes me feel no better. One could respect his argument that DOMA is unconstitutional if Obama was a consistent defender of the Constitution. But Obama is about power and pleasing his biggest political contributors, not upholding the rule of law.
If Obama was frank with the American people he would simply state, “I am your king, your ruler. Congress is irrelevant and the Constitution is a meaningless piece of paper. I will tell you what laws are good for you.”
Obama knows little about truth. He received an Ivy League degree in speaking out of both sides of his mouth. And a masters degree in the art of “weapons of mass distraction.”
Obama's decision was pure politics. And a perfect distraction while the economy and global security melts down. The national debt is mounting; cities and states are bankrupt; the dollar is headed for oblivion; gas prices escalate out of control; real unemployment heads for a staggering 20 percent; the Middle East is in flames; our border is undefended.
To a master of deception like Obama, this is the perfect time to distract the media and the masses. Right out of Obama’s favorite book, “Rules for Radicals.” But don’t buy into Obama’s propaganda.
This has nothing to do with the Constitution. If Obama cared about the Constitution, he’d be refusing to support many of his own bills. After all, there is nothing constitutional about Obamacare. Forcing consumers to buy a product (health insurance), with the threat of government (fine or prison), is certainly unconstitutional.
If the Constitution mattered, Obama certainly could not consider giving waivers to opt out of Obamacare to unions across America. He certainly could not attempt to set price controls on doctors, insurance companies, and medical device manufacturers. He could not support cap and trade. What role does the Constitution allow for government to take control over private industry?
What about bailouts? Is it constitutional to steal taxpayer money from the treasury to hand out to companies that wrote the biggest checks to your presidential campaign?
How about card check? You think it’s constitutional to enrich 7 percent of the population (union employees) who happen to send hundreds of millions in contributions to Obama, all balanced on the backs of the other 93 percent of the population?
Is it constitutional to accomplish this by taking away the rights of employees to vote in secret? I wonder if it's constitutional to be a president and union hack at the same time?
And then there’s Obama’s obsession with banning oil drilling. Recently, a federal judge called Obama’s de facto ban “unreasonable, unacceptable and unjustified.” Obama’s unconstitutional disregard for the rule of law could threaten the security and stability of the entire U.S. economy.
It certainly can’t be states' rights that Obama is concerned with. Afterall, he is currently suing the state of Arizona, interfering with their constitutional right to protect their own border and citizens. Amazingly, Mexico has joined the suit. Do you think it’s constitutional for our president to be suing one of our own states, with Mexico as a partner?
So why start quoting the Constitution with DOMA? In the middle of the Great Depression II and a Middle East meltdown, why choose gay marriage as the issue to draw the line in the sand?
His handling of DOMA is simply an extension of his non-stop Big Brother power grab through the appointment of radical czars; blatant disregard for the rule of law (see his handling of the GM and Chrysler bankruptcies); and implementing rules, regulations, and policies that bypass the Congress and the will of the American people.
As my father, the common-sense blue-collar butcher, used to say, “Don’t listen to what he says, watch what he does.”
Wayne Allyn Root is a former libertarian vice presidential nominee. He now serves as chairman of the Libertarian National Congressional Committee. He is the best-selling author of "The Conscience of a Libertarian: Empowering the Citizen Revolution with God, Guns, Gold & Tax Cuts." His website: ROOTforAmerica.com
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.