I firmly believe that unless we learn from history, we will be condemned to repeat it.
It seems to me that there are dangerous similarities to the rise of Nazism and the rise of radical Islam and the nuclear weapons ambitions of Iran.
A look back at a time that gave rise to Nazi Germany and a look at today’s rise of a nuclear Iran show many eerie similarities:
- Europe and the world were fatigued by the loss of life and economic strife in the wake of World War I. Likewise, America is fatigued by the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. We are experiencing the worst economy since the Great Depression.
- Jews did not believe the threats leveled by the Nazis would come to pass. And while Israelis understand the threat from Iran and radical Islam, do the Americans?
- Hitler told the world of his ultimate intentions when he wrote “Mein Kamf” and made speeches prior to coming to power, similar to the way the president of Iran tells the world of his intentions to rid the planet of Israel.
- Hitler used laws to justify his lawless and inhuman intentions and even invoked the name of God to show his authority to govern. Hitler said, “I believe I am acting in accordance with the will of the almighty creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.” Ahmadinejad invokes the name of Allah to justify his belief that “Israel must be wiped off the map” and uses law to further his lawless and inhuman intent.
- Hitler made pacts with foreign leaders that bought him time to seize and secure power and armaments. Iran makes agreements with the IAEA and governments with no intention to honor agreements in an effort to buy time.
- Hitler used Jews as scapegoats while advancing and justifying a radical agenda. Iran uses Jews and the West as scapegoats in advancing and justifying a radical agenda.
- Hitler sought to destroy the Jewish people, murdering millions. The president of Iran seeks the total destruction of the state of Israel and the Jewish people.
- Hitler got so powerful, while Europe turned a blind eye, that collectively they could not stop Nazi Germany when war was eventually waged. Iran is arming in violation of law, while the world sits back and fails to stop it.
- Hitler, in defiance of law and treaty, built weapons upon which ultimately made his threats a reality. Iran is building nuclear weapons in violation of law which makes it more of a reality.
- Hitler indoctrinated children and at the end of the war, sent them to their deaths. Iran indoctrinates their children to hate Jews and the West. Radical Islam has sent children into markets strapped with bombs to kill innocents.
- Sixty million people perished from the earth during World War II with much cruder weapons than we have today. Iran threatens the destruction of the state of Israel that he claims will come to pass. Millions are in jeopardy.
Right now, Iran is building the means to make good on its threats. They do so in complete disregard of international law and treaty. The world is turning the same blind eye to the government of Iran as it did with the rise of Nazi Germany.
We must stop Iran from obtaining the means to make good on their threats.
Hitler could have been stopped. The power to stop him was not exercised because no one could imagine Nazi Germany’s threats could ever be realized.
I take Ahmadinejad at his word and his country's ability to build nuclear weapons. The world cannot afford to give the Iranian regime the “benefit of the doubt.”
Forget about sanctions. They won’t work and they will only delay the inevitable. Iran must be stopped and stopped now. If Iran is not stopped in time, millions will be wiped off the face of the earth.
Israel will be destroyed and the center of Western religions will be gone for eternity.
Too unimaginable you say? Well I say, learn from history or be condemned to repeat it.
Bradley A. Blakeman served as deputy assistant to President George W. Bush from 2001-04. He is currently a professor of politics and public policy at Georgetown University.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.