Syrian Minister in Lebanon for Treatment After Bombing

Wednesday, 19 Dec 2012 12:16 PM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |

BEIRUT — Syria's Interior Minister Mohammad Ibrahim al-Shaar arrived in Lebanon on Wednesday for medical treatment following a bomb attack on his ministry in central Damascus a week ago, security sources said.

Syrian rebels said Shaar had been seriously wounded in last Wednesday's attack when a car bomb and two other explosives were detonated at the main gate of his ministry.

The Lebanese sources gave no details of Shaar's condition, but said it was not critical.

A rebel commander confirmed the news and said the Shaar did not seem to be in a critical condition.

"He is wounded in the shoulder and stomach. To move him to Beirut means he is not in a critical condition but is having a health issue that requires time and better care, that is all," said the commander speaking from inside Syria.

Syria's state media said at the time of the bombings that five people were killed, including a member of parliament, but that Shaar was not hurt.

It was the second time Shaar appeared to have been targeted in a rebel attack.

He was wounded in a July 18 bombing which killed four of President Bashar al-Assad's top security officials, including Assad's brother-in-law Assef Shawkat.

© 2013 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

US Offers to Help Iran After Deadly Quake

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 15:27 PM

The White House, at odds with Iran over its nuclear program, offered on Wednesday to help Tehran grapple with a deadly e . . .

Saudi Shiites Fear New Unrest After Spy Arrests

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 09:53 AM

Al-Awamiyah is a small village of shabby houses, narrow streets and dilapidated palm groves that has earned a big reputa . . .

Israel Indicts Arab Citizen for Joining Syria's Insurgency

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 07:02 AM

Israel charged a member of its Arab minority on Wednesday with security offenses for joining the Syrian insurgency again . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved