Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich drew praise from Reagan Republicans and Reagan Democrats, as well as media figures, for his performance in the GOP presidential debate that ABC sponsored in Des Moines, Iowa, Saturday night.
Here’s a sample of reactions during and after the debate:
- Matt Lewis, Daily Caller: "My take: Newt ‘wins’ by surviving as the frontrunner."
- Monica Crowley, radio and TV commentator: Newt is “the gutsiest guy on stage.”
- Chris Cillizza, Washington Post: “Newt has been VERY good tonight.”
- Matthew Dowd, Bush strategist, ABC: " I think Newt Gingrich is going to solidify his support.”
- Amy Walter, ABC News political director: “Now we understand why Newt Gingrich is at the top of these polls.”
- Jake Tapper, ABC: "He delivered well, he defended his positions."Matthew Dodd: "I think Newt Gingrich is going to solidify his support."
- Chuck Todd, NBC: "[Debate is] illustrative of why Gingrich is getting passionate support right now; cautious Mitt vs. Newt's Swagger. Newt shows why he won't be an easy target for Romney; he fights back pretty hard."
- Philip Klein, Washington Examiner: "Another amazing Israel answer by Newt. He's right. This is a propaganda war & ‘Palestinian’ is a propaganda term."
- Ben Shapiro, columnist: "Gingrich's response on this is incredible. Groundbreakingly good."
- Tina Korbe, HotAir: "I do love that Gingrich repeatedly remembers the presidency is on LOAN from the American people. "
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.