Authorities in Boston are guarding a 20-year-old Saudi man in Monday’s horrifying bombing attack at the Boston Marathon, reports The New York Post
The man, who has not been formally charged in what the White House has now deemed “an act of terror,” is being described as a person of interest, according to Fox News, which said that it was still unclear to authorities as to whether the man was a victim or perpetrator.
According to the network, the man had suffered severe burns and was being guarded at an area hospital as the FBI continued to analyze video from several area surveillance cameras.
Citing a report from CBS News, The Post also said that Boston police have surveillance video of someone transporting multiple backpacks to the site of the explosions near the finish line of the race.
Meanwhile, the Boston Athletic Association, which organizes the annual event, issued a statement Monday evening extending its “deepest sympathies” to those who were affected in any way by the incident.
“Today is a sad day for the city of Boston, for the running community, and for all those who were here to enjoy the 117th running of the Boston Marathon. What was intended to be a day of joy and celebration quickly became a day in which running a marathon was of little importance,” the statement said.
“We can confirm that all of the remaining runners who were out on the course when the tragic events unfolded have been returned to a community meeting area,” officials added.
The association also said that all unclaimed runners’ bags may be picked up by runners “presenting their bib number or proof of race participation.” Police had earlier been treating all bags at the scene as suspicious.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.