Tags: LT | Argentina | Fernández

Argentina Corruption Trial against Fernández Likely Delayed

Argentina Corruption Trial against Fernández Likely Delayed

Wednesday, 15 May 2019 05:38 PM EDT

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — A decision by Argentina's Supreme Court is likely to delay the first in a series of corruption trials against former President Cristina Fernández.

The trial had been set for May 21. But the top court ruled late Tuesday in favor of her defense team and said it would review the federal court file to evaluate the legal arguments presented by the former leader and others.

Governing party politicians criticized the decision, saying it seems aimed at protecting the center-left Fernández ahead of the October presidential election, in which she is expected to challenge her conservative successor, Mauricio Macri.

The top court's ruling is "odd, at the very least, and is politically tainted," Justice Minister Germán Garavano said.

Fernández, who was president in 2007-2015, has been accused of taking bribes in exchange for public work contracts. She denies any wrongdoing and says lower courts did not allow her to present more witnesses and a comparative analysis of the companies that gained public works contracts during her presidency.

In separate cases, she faces several formal investigations into allegations of bribery, money laundering and criminal association during her administration and that of her late husband and predecessor, Nestor Kirchner, who was president in 2003-2007.

Fernández, now a senator, has accused officials of persecuting her to distract from Argentina's current economic crisis. Fernández's Senate seat grants her immunity from arrest but not from prosecution.

The anti-corruption office has asked for the trial not to be suspended, and a prosecutor asked the top court to guarantee the start of the process.

Fernández's sympathizers celebrated the court's decision.

"Tempers are flaring in the government because they couldn't get the photo of the former president in the bench of the accused," said Fernández's former Cabinet chief, Aníbal Fernández.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
A decision by Argentina's Supreme Court is likely to delay the first in a series of corruption trials against former President Cristina Fernández.The trial had been set for May 21. But the top court ruled late Tuesday in favor of her defense team and said it would review...
LT,Argentina,Fernández
295
2019-38-15
Wednesday, 15 May 2019 05:38 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved