The United States has evacuated "a limited number" of staff members from the consulate in Iraqi Kurdish city of Irbil and the embassy in Baghdad, the State Department said Sunday, amid the offensive by Islamist State militants and a dozen airstrikes by U.S. planes.
The notice announcing "the departure of some staff from the consulate general" in Irbil came in the latest State Department travel warning for Iraq. It did not give any details on the number of people or what their roles were.
The evacuated staffers were being moved to the U.S. consulate in Basra, Iraq, and to Amman, Jordan.
The embassy in Baghdad and consulate general in Irbil remain open, The Wall Street Journal reported.
In June, the United States said it had moved some staff from the giant U.S. embassy in Baghdad to Irbil, which previously had been known for better security than the Iraqi capital.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.