Tags: greece rail disaster investigation europe tempe

Greek Rail Disaster Report Cites Errors and Major Systemic Failures

Thursday, 27 February 2025 08:01 AM EST

ATHENS, Greece (AP) — A long-awaited report on the investigation into Greece’s deadliest train crash was released Thursday, blaming human error, outdated infrastructure and major systemic failures for the head-on collision that killed 57 people two years ago.

The 178-page report was issued on the eve of a general strike and mass protests planned for the second anniversary of the Feb. 28, 2023 crash, fueled by public anger over the slow pace of a separate judicial inquiry.

The independent investigative committee found that a routing mistake by a station master sent a passenger train onto the same track as an oncoming freight train. The collision, which killed 46 passengers and 11 staff including both train drivers, occurred near Tempe, 375 kilometers (235 miles) north of Athens.

Investigators also highlighted poor training, staff shortages and a deteriorating railway system that lacked automated safety controls, noting a chronic lack of public investment during the 2010-18 financial crisis.

The findings were published by the Hellenic Air and Rail Safety Investigation Authority.

Authority director Christos Papadimitriou told The Associated Press that many safety improvements remain unfinished.

“An accident doesn’t occur by chance,” he said. “There are accumulating factors that contribute to the accident, because humans also tend to make mistakes.”

He added: “The Greek railway system didn’t have in 2023 — it doesn’t have today, too — the safety systems needed so that if one or two persons together make a mistake, such was the case in Tempe with the train driver and the station master, there would be mechanisms that won’t allow this accident to happen.”

The government said that it would respond to the “very serious shortcomings and understaffing and underfunding,” but added that claims made by opposition parties that it had hindered the investigation had been shown to be false.

“A cover-up is a very serious allegation and this is not (demonstrated) at any point in these findings,” government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis said. The government is deploying 5,000 police to patrol Athens Friday with public demonstrations planned and a general strike expected to halt or disrupt flights, ferries, public services and commercial activity.

___

Theodora Tongas contributed to this report.

Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.


GlobalTalk
A longawaited report on the investigation into Greece's deadliest train crash was released Thursday, blaming human error, outdated infrastructure and major systemic failures for the headon collision that killed 57 people two years ago. The 178page report was issued on the...
greece rail disaster investigation europe tempe
356
2025-01-27
Thursday, 27 February 2025 08:01 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved