Tags: EU | Spain | NKorea | Embassy Attack | The Latest

The Latest: US Had 'nothing to Do' with NKorea Embassy Raid

The Latest: US Had 'nothing to Do' with NKorea Embassy Raid

Tuesday, 26 March 2019 04:38 PM EDT

MADRID (AP) — The Latest on last month's assault at the North Korean Embassy in Madrid (all times local):

9 p.m.

A U.S. State Department spokesman says that the government had nothing to do with last month's assault on the North Korean Embassy in Madrid.

Spain has issued two international arrest warrants for members of a self-proclaimed human rights group that allegedly led a mysterious attack on the North Korean Embassy on Feb. 22 before offering data stolen during the raid to the FBI.

When asked if Washington had anything to do with the raid, U.S. State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said "the United States government had nothing to do with this."

He also said that "regarding the specifics of what's going on, the Spanish authorities are investigating. The investigation is still underway. For any details on their investigation, I would have to refer you to Spanish authorities."

3:25 p.m.

A Spanish court has accused an American, Mexican and South Korean of an attack on the North Korean Embassy in February, saying the FBI was offered stolen data.

National Court judge Jose de la Mata on Tuesday lifted a secrecy order, announcing it had found evidence of various crimes, including trespassing, injuries, threats and burglary committed by "a criminal organization."

The investigating magistrate named Adrian Hong Chang, a Mexican national and resident in the United States, as the leader of a gang of 10 people who escaped in broad daylight on Feb. 22 after stealing computers and documents from the embassy, where they shackled and gagged its staff.

The judge says Hong Chang escaped Spanish authorities and flew to the U.S., where he got in touch with the FBI.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
The Latest on last month's assault at the North Korean Embassy in Madrid (all times local):9 p.m.A U.S. State Department spokesman says that the government had nothing to do with last month's assault on the North Korean Embassy in Madrid.Spain has issued two international...
EU,Spain,NKorea,Embassy Attack,The Latest
278
2019-38-26
Tuesday, 26 March 2019 04:38 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved