Tags: EU | Italy | Migrants

Group: Number of Migrant Children Traveling Alone Surges

Thursday, 14 July 2016 05:31 PM EDT

MILAN (AP) — A humanitarian organization says that the number of unaccompanied minors making the perilous journey across the Mediterranean Sea to Italy has more than doubled this year.

Save the Children says the number of minors arriving in Italy unaccompanied by an adult was 10,525 in the first six months of the year, compared with 3,929 in 2015.

At the same time, the number of migrant arrivals has remained almost the same: 70,222 this year compared with 70,340 last year.

Save the Children spokeswoman Giovanna di Benedetti said Thursday arrivals from Egypt and Gambia have led the surge. The number of unaccompanied minors from Gambian more than quadrupled to 1,578 from January through June, while there was a more than 10-fold increase in the number of Egyptians to 1,575.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Europe
A humanitarian organization says that the number of unaccompanied minors making the perilous journey across the Mediterranean Sea to Italy has more than doubled this year.Save the Children says the number of minors arriving in Italy unaccompanied by an adult was 10,525 in...
EU,Italy,Migrants
129
2016-31-14
Thursday, 14 July 2016 05:31 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved