Tags: EU | Italy | Cell | Phone | Tumor

Italian Court Finds Link between Cell Phone Use and Tumor

Thursday, 20 April 2017 01:39 PM EDT

MILAN (AP) — A longtime Telecom Italia employee has been awarded monthly social security payments after a court found that his brain tumor was caused by improper use of a company-issued cellphone.

Lawyer Stefano Bertone said Thursday that it was the first trial court verdict of which he was aware "to recognize a link between cellphone use and the development of brain tumor."

Bertone says the employee, Roberto Romeo, used the company cellphone for three hours a day for 15 years without taking any precautions, resulting in the non-cancerous tumor and the subsequent loss of hearing in one ear.

Romeo sued the state social security agency, not Telecom Italia, where he still works.

Under last month's ruling, Romeo will receive between 6,000 and 7,000 euros ($6,000-$7,500) a year.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Europe
A longtime Telecom Italia employee has been awarded monthly social security payments after a court found that his brain tumor was caused by improper use of a company-issued cellphone.Lawyer Stefano Bertone said Thursday that it was the first trial court verdict of which he...
EU,Italy,Cell,Phone,Tumor
127
2017-39-20
Thursday, 20 April 2017 01:39 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved