Tags: EU | France | Britain | Sick | Toddler

European Rights Court Rejects Case on Terminally Ill Toddler

European Rights Court Rejects Case on Terminally Ill Toddler

Monday, 23 April 2018 11:39 AM EDT

PARIS (AP) — The European Court of Human Rights on Monday rejected a case from British parents who want to take their terminally ill toddler to Italy for treatment instead of allowing a U.K. hospital to remove him from life support.

The Strasbourg-based court said it received an application from the parents of 23-month-old Alfie Evans on Friday to potentially delay Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool from removing him from life support.

The court rejected the application as "inadmissible," but wouldn't specify on what grounds. Cases can be deemed inadmissible at the court if they are thought to be "manifestly ill-founded."

Justices at Britain's Supreme Court last week upheld a lower court's conclusion that it would be pointless to fly the boy to Rome for treatment.

Doctors say Alfie is in a "semi-vegetative state" as the result of a degenerative neurological condition that medics have been unable to definitively identify. Earlier British court rulings blocked further medical treatment and ordered the boy's life support to be withdrawn.

The case has drawn the attention of Pope Francis, who offered prayers for Alfie and others who are suffering from serious infirmities during a Sunday blessing in St. Peter's Square earlier this month.

Alfie's parents, Tom Evans, 21, and Kate James, 20, want to take him to the Vatican's Bambino Gesu Pediatric Hospital. Doctors at Alder Hey believe that wouldn't be in the toddler's best interests, and British courts have agreed.

Dozens of supporters of Alfie's parents gathered Monday outside Alder Hey hospital, and reacted with anger to the court decision. Some briefly blocked a road, chanting "Save Alfie Evans!" One group tried to storm a door of the hospital, but were blocked by police and later retreated.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
The European Court of Human Rights on Monday rejected a case from British parents who want to take their terminally ill toddler to Italy for treatment instead of allowing a U.K. hospital to remove him from life support.The Strasbourg-based court said it received an...
EU,France,Britain,Sick,Toddler
285
2018-39-23
Monday, 23 April 2018 11:39 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved