Tags: EU | Europe | Migrants | The Latest

The Latest: Spain Rescues 466 People Crossing Mediterranean

Sunday, 30 September 2018 08:38 AM EDT

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — The Latest on immigration into Europe (all times local):

3 p.m.

Spain's maritime rescue service says it has saved 466 migrants attempting the dangerous crossing of the Mediterranean Sea from North Africa to European shores.

The service says its rescue craft pulled the migrants from 10 different boats intercepted in waters east of the Strait of Gibraltar on Saturday and Sunday morning.

Over 300 people have died in waters separating Spain from the African coast so far this year, according to the United Nations, and over 1,600 have died in all trying to cross the Mediterranean.

A recent spike in migrant arrivals in Spain has put a strain on public services and pressure on the Spanish government, especially since Italy's new hard-line interior minister has blocked humanitarian aid boats from docking in Italian ports with migrants rescued at sea.

2:30 p.m.

Turkey's state-run news agency says a boat carrying migrants has capsized off Turkey's northern Aegean coast, killing at least five people.

The capsizing occurred as a rare and powerful Mediterranean storm is causing torrential rains in parts of Greece and Turkey.

The Anadolu Agency said the rubber boat capsized Sunday off the town of Enez in Edirne province. The town is not far from the northern Greek coastal town of Alexandroupolis.

It said it was not immediately clear how many migrants were on the boat and rescue crews were scouring the area for possible survivors or more bodies.

Although their numbers have decreased in recent years, migrants still try and cross into Greece from nearby Turkey in the hopes of making their way to other European countries.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
The Latest on immigration into Europe (all times local):3 p.m.Spain's maritime rescue service says it has saved 466 migrants attempting the dangerous crossing of the Mediterranean Sea from North Africa to European shores.The service says its rescue craft pulled the migrants...
EU,Europe,Migrants,The Latest
271
2018-38-30
Sunday, 30 September 2018 08:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved