POZZALLO, Sicily (AP) — The Latest on Europe's migration crisis (all times local):
6:00 p.m.
Serbian police say they have prevented the illegal transfer of 44 migrants to Hungary and arrested three Afghans accused of planning to smuggle them across the border.
Police said Monday the group was discovered in the border town of Subotica after coming off a local bus. They included people from Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq and Iran.
Migrants increasingly have been turning to smugglers to help them reach the European Union after the closure of the so-called Balkan corridor in early March.
Their numbers could surge as the weather gets warmer in the summer. Aid groups have warned more migrants are using dangerous routes from fear of being caught.
5:35 p.m.
Prosecutors have demanded prison sentences of up to a year for four men allegedly involved in rioting that erupted last year during a heated demonstration against a proposed asylum-seekers' center in a small Dutch town.
The violence broke out Dec. 16 in the town of Geldermalsen, 70 kilometers (43 miles) southeast of Amsterdam, while local legislators were debating plans to house asylum-seekers in the town. It underscored deep resentment among a section of Dutch society at the arrival of thousands of migrants last year.
Prosecutors on Monday asked judges to convict a 22-year-old and a 29-year-old for their alleged roles in the riots and sentence them both to a year in prison, with four months of the sentence suspended. Two other men face lower sentences if convicted.
5:10 p.m.
It was the cries of children — and the moment they decided they must save themselves — that haunt the survivors of a shipwreck that claimed hundreds of lives.
Two Eritreans who arrived safely in Sicily told The Associated Press how the sea kept seeping into their rickety fishing boat despite all efforts to bail the water out. Eventually, the sea prevailed.
"When the morning came, I saw how the children were crying and the women," Habtom Tekle, a 27-year-old Eritrean, told the AP through an interpreter. "At this point I only tried to pray."
Between 400 and 550 on their smugglers' boat didn't make it, part of the estimated 700 migrants who perished in Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks over three days last week in the deadliest known tally in over a year, as calm weather and sunny skies increased smuggling crossings from Libya.
© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.