With a month yet to go in the 2023 fiscal year, a record 6,100 Canadian border apprehensions with illegal migrants representing 76 countries has already topped the total number of apprehensions made during the entire last decade, officials said this week.
"Over 6,100 apprehensions from 76 different countries in just 11 months, surpassing the last 10 years combined," U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Swanton Sector Chief Robert Garcia said in a post on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter, Wednesday. "Swanton Sector Agents are resolute and determined to hold the line across our 295 miles of border in northeastern New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire."
As the nation grapples with the number of illegal migrants crossing the southern border, the numbers also set records along the border with Canada.
As of the end of July, CBP reports more than 150,000 encounters on the northern border for the year so far, compared to 109,535 in 2022, and 27,180 in 2021.
The number of 2023 Canadian border crossings are well above the monthly totals in each of the three previous years, according to the CBP.
The Daily Mail reported that the sector saw about 1,000 apprehensions in fiscal year 2020 and 365 in fiscal year 2021, which runs from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30.
"Swanton Sector's greatest concern in carrying out our mission of border security is the preservation of life — the lives of community residents we are sworn to protect, the lives of our Border Patrol Agents carrying out the mission day-in and day-out in the field, and the lives of the individuals, families, and children we are charged with apprehending as they attempt to circumvent legal processes for entry," the mail reported Garcia saying previously.
According to the Mail's report, migrants making it to Mexico pay for a $350 one-way plane ticket to Montreal or Toronto, Canada, then head for the border, where they have less chance of being turned away.
In the report, Garcia said the 115 ports of entry along the huge northern border are "saturated" with the recent surge of illegal migrants.
The acting patrol agent in charge of the Pembina, North Dakota, station in the Grand Forks Sector, Kathryn Siemer, told the Mail that the spike is likely due to Canada "loosening" many of its COVID-19 restrictions.
The news comes as New York City Mayor Eric Adams declared that the flow of the estimated 10,000 illegal migrants per month into the city will "destroy" it.
Charles Kim ✉
Charles Kim, a Newsmax general assignment writer, is an award-winning journalist with more than 30 years in reporting on news and politics.
© 2026 Newsmax. All rights reserved.