Tags: AS | United States | South Korea

Acting Defense Chief: Major Drills with SKorea Still on Hold

Acting Defense Chief: Major Drills with SKorea Still on Hold

Sunday, 02 June 2019 07:38 AM EDT

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan says so far he sees no need to restore large-scale military exercises with South Korea that have been curtailed over the past year as a diplomatic olive branch to North Korea.

But he also says he wants to discuss the issue with his top American commander in South Korea, Army Gen. Robert Abrams, to "make sure that the plan that we put in place is sufficient."

Shanahan made the comments Sunday as he flew to Seoul to meet with his commanders and South Korean officials.

Shanahan's visit to Seoul comes as the U.S. and partners in the region weigh how to respond to missile tests conducted last month by North Korea.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan says so far he sees no need to restore large-scale military exercises with South Korea that have been curtailed over the past year as a diplomatic olive branch to North Korea.But he also says he wants to discuss the issue with his...
AS,United States,South Korea
120
2019-38-02
Sunday, 02 June 2019 07:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved