Tags: AS | Philippines | Muslim Rebels | The Latest

The Latest: Rebels Take 5 Civilians from Philippine Village

Wednesday, 21 June 2017 12:51 AM EDT

KIDAPAWAN, Philippines (AP) — The Latest on Muslim rebel attack on a southern Philippine village (all times local):

Noon

A Philippine military spokesman says gunmen who raided a southern village took five civilians to use as human shields as they retreated.

Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said none of the hostages taken Wednesday was a student. The gunmen who raided the village at dawn had positioned themselves inside a school as they engaged troops in a gunbattle. But the school was closed at the time.

Padilla said authorities were still trying to verify if the civilians had been freed or not. He added that a spokesman for the attackers has said they did not mean to take hostages and the civilians were taken only to help cover their withdrawal.

Padilla said no one has been reported hurt, the situation has been addressed, and the gunmen have retreated.

9:30 a.m.

Muslim rebels have raided a southern Philippine village and positioned themselves in a school as they engaged troops in a gunbattle officials say may be an attempt to disrupt the massive military offensive in besieged Marawi city.

Police Chief Inspector Realan Mamon told The Associated Press by telephone that gunmen from the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters raided the village of Malagakit in North Cotabato province at dawn and engaged government forces in a firefight. Villagers fled to safety.

Military spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said the gunmen targeted an army outpost and a patrol base of pro-government militiamen, who fired back and were later reinforced by army troops.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Asia
The Latest on Muslim rebel attack on a southern Philippine village (all times local):NoonA Philippine military spokesman says gunmen who raided a southern village took five civilians to use as human shields as they retreated.Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla said none of the...
AS,Philippines,Muslim Rebels,The Latest
255
2017-51-21
Wednesday, 21 June 2017 12:51 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved