Tags: AS | Malaysia | North | Korea | The | Latest

The Latest: Indonesia Envoy Shocked by Malaysia Trial Ruling

The Latest: Indonesia Envoy Shocked by Malaysia Trial Ruling

Thursday, 16 August 2018 01:38 AM EDT

SHAH ALAM, Malaysia (AP) — The Latest on the murder trial of two Southeast Asian women in the assassination of the North Korean leader's half brother (all times local):

12:45 p.m.

Indonesia's ambassador to Malaysia says he was shocked by a judge's ruling that evidence presented so far warranted continuing the murder trial of an Indonesian suspect in the assassination of the North Korean leader's half brother.

Indonesian Ambassador Rusdi Kirana told reporters that his government will abide by the ruling.

Indonesian Siti Aisyah and Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong are accused of smearing VX nerve agent on Kim Jong Nam's face last year. They have said they thought they were taking part in a prank for a TV show.

A judge ruled Thursday the women should begin entering their defense. He could have acquitted them.

12:30 p.m.

A Malaysian judge has ruled the two women charged with murdering the North Korean leader's half brother should begin entering their defense.

High Court Judge Azmi Ariffin said Thursday it can be inferred from evidence presented in court that there was a "well-planned conspiracy" between the two women and four North Korean suspects at large to kill Kim "systemically."

He said he "cannot rule out that this could be a political assassination" but noted there was no concrete evidence to support this. He called for them to enter their defense after reading his ruling for more than two hours. The defense phase of the trial is expected to last months.

8 a.m.

Two women on trial for the brazen assassination of the North Korean leader's half brother have arrived at a Malaysian court for a key ruling.

The judge is to decide Thursday whether to acquit the women of murder or to call them to enter their defense, which could take several months.

Indonesian Siti Aisyah and Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong are accused of smearing VX nerve agent on Kim Jong Nam's face in an airport terminal in Kuala Lumpur. The women have said they thought they were taking part in a prank for a TV show.

They are the only two suspects in custody and face the death penalty if convicted. If they are acquitted, they may not be freed as prosecutors could appeal or push charges of overstaying their visas..

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
The Latest on the murder trial of two Southeast Asian women in the assassination of the North Korean leader's half brother (all times local):12:45 p.m.Indonesia's ambassador to Malaysia says he was shocked by a judge's ruling that evidence presented so far warranted...
AS,Malaysia,North,Korea,The,Latest
378
2018-38-16
Thursday, 16 August 2018 01:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved