SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — The Latest on a North Korean missile launch (all times local):
10:30 a.m.
Japanese officials say a ballistic missile fired from North Korea's western coast is believed to have landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told reporters the missile was fired around 9:40 a.m. Tuesday and flew for 40 minutes before landing in the Sea of Japan within waters where Japan claims economic rights.
He said no damage to aircraft or ships has been reported. Japanese media said the coast guard had cautioned ships about potential falling objects.
10 a.m.
South Korean officials say North Korea launched another ballistic missile in the direction of Japan, part of a string of recent test-firings as the North works to build a nuclear-tipped missile that could reach the United States.
The South's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement that the launch was made from North Phyongan province. Other details were scarce. It wasn't immediately clear if this was a routine firing of a short-range missile or an attempt to perfect North Korea's longer-range missiles.
Just last week South Korean President Moon Jae-in and U.S. President Donald Trump focused much of their first meeting on opposing North Korea's development of atomic weapons that threaten both allies.
© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.