Tags: AS | Japan | Sexual | Misconduct

Japanese Actress Accuses Director, Starts #MeToo Group

Friday, 27 April 2018 04:38 AM EDT

TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese actress who won a settlement from a director she said sexually harassed her says she plans to use the money she won to start a #MeToo group for Japan's entertainment industry.

The 20-year-old actress, who goes by the name Chino, leads the Tokyo-based theater troupe TremendousCircus. She says director Mikiya Ichihara took her to karaoke in 2015 when she was still a high school student, touched her and made obscene remarks, promising to land her roles.

Ichihara apologized and paid several hundreds of thousands of yen (thousands of dollars) to Chino after she made the allegations against him in Twitter late last year after seeing the #MeToo movement abroad.

Victims of sexual misconduct in Japan rarely go public because they often face a social backlash and victim blaming.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
A Japanese actress who won a settlement from a director she said sexually harassed her says she plans to use the money she won to start a #MeToo group for Japan's entertainment industry.The 20-year-old actress, who goes by the name Chino, leads the Tokyo-based theater...
AS,Japan,Sexual,Misconduct
132
2018-38-27
Friday, 27 April 2018 04:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved