Tags: AS | Afghanistan | UNICEF

UN Agency: Attacks on Schools in Afghanistan Tripled in 2018

Tuesday, 28 May 2019 02:38 AM EDT

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The United Nations children's agency says attacks on schools in Afghanistan tripled in 2018, compared to the year before.

UNICEF's press release on Tuesday says the number of attacks on schools went from 68 in 2017, to 192 in 2018. It was the first time school attacks had increased since 2015.

The agency says one of the reasons for the spike was that schools were used as voter registration and polling centers in last year parliamentary elections.

UNICEF also says Afghanistan's conflict and deteriorating security situation left more than 1,000 schools closed last year. Half a million children were denied their right to education.

An estimated 3.7 million children between 7 and 17 years of age — nearly half of all school-aged children — are out of school in Afghanistan.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


GlobalTalk
The United Nations children's agency says attacks on schools in Afghanistan tripled in 2018, compared to the year before.UNICEF's press release on Tuesday says the number of attacks on schools went from 68 in 2017, to 192 in 2018. It was the first time school attacks had...
AS,Afghanistan,UNICEF
131
2019-38-28
Tuesday, 28 May 2019 02:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved