Tags: AF | UN | Congo | Sexual Abuse

UN Congo Head Vows Action against Accused Tanzanians

Saturday, 16 April 2016 04:12 PM EDT

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The head of the United Nations mission in Congo has vowed action against Tanzanian peacekeepers accused of sexual abuses in Congo.

Maman Sidikou said Saturday that sanctions may be imposed after investigations by the U.N. and Tanzanian government.

Sidikou said 18 cases of rape have been reported involving Tanzanians. He said 11 cases are from Tanzania's previous contingent and seven are with the current deployment in the eastern village of Mavivi.

Last week the U.N. said six of 11 females in Congo allegedly impregnated by Tanzanian peacekeepers are minors and seven had given birth.

Sidikou said the victims will receive assistance.

The U.N. has been in the spotlight over allegations of abuses by its peacekeepers, especially those based in Central African Republic and Congo.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Africa
The head of the United Nations mission in Congo has vowed action against Tanzanian peacekeepers accused of sexual abuses in Congo.Maman Sidikou said Saturday that sanctions may be imposed after investigations by the U.N. and Tanzanian government.Sidikou said 18 cases of...
AF,UN,Congo,Sexual Abuse
127
2016-12-16
Saturday, 16 April 2016 04:12 PM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved