Tags: AF | South Sudan | Peace Deal

Mediator: South Sudan's Factions Have Violated Ceasefire

Thursday, 17 September 2015 09:41 AM EDT

JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — The regional bloc that mediated South Sudan's peace agreement says both sides have violated the deal signed last month.

In its first report since a ceasefire took effect on August 30, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development said government forces fired on rebel positions in Upper Nile state using attack helicopters on September 2, while rebel forces attacked Nhialdiu in Unity State on August 23.

The report urged the group's special envoys who mediated the peace talks to condemn the violations.

South Sudan military spokesman Col. Philip Aguer accused the monitors of being slow to verify violations but did not comment on their findings.

Rebel spokesman Dickson Gatluak said rebels were attacked first in Nhialdiu and accused monitors of not being on the ground.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Africa
The regional bloc that mediated South Sudan's peace agreement says both sides have violated the deal signed last month.In its first report since a ceasefire took effect on August 30, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development said government forces fired on rebel...
AF,South Sudan,Peace Deal
127
2015-41-17
Thursday, 17 September 2015 09:41 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved