Tags: AF | Niger | Migrants

51 Migrants Presumed Dead after Abandonment in Niger Desert

Tuesday, 27 June 2017 09:38 AM EDT

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The International Organization for Migration says 51 migrants are presumed dead in the Sahara Desert in Niger after smugglers abandoned them during their journey north to Libya.

The group said Tuesday that some 24 migrants from Gambia, Nigeria, Senegal and Ivory Coast alerted authorities days ago that they had been stranded. The organization said the survivors were taken to Seguedine, where one died. They will be transferred to the Dirkou center Tuesday.

The survivors said they were in a group of 75 taking three different cars. The organization said authorities are searching for the 51 bodies after sand storms.

IOM says it has saved more than 600 migrants since April 2016 in Niger, which is a major route for West African migrants making their way toward Europe.

© Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Africa
The International Organization for Migration says 51 migrants are presumed dead in the Sahara Desert in Niger after smugglers abandoned them during their journey north to Libya.The group said Tuesday that some 24 migrants from Gambia, Nigeria, Senegal and Ivory Coast...
AF,Niger,Migrants
130
2017-38-27
Tuesday, 27 June 2017 09:38 AM
Newsmax Media, Inc.

Sign up for Newsmax’s Daily Newsletter

Receive breaking news and original analysis - sent right to your inbox.

(Optional for Local News)
Privacy: We never share your email address.
Join the Newsmax Community
Read and Post Comments
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
 
 
TOP

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
NEWSMAX.COM
© Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved